Sunday, November 24, 2013

Author Yveta Germano On The Cutting Edge | Novel Ideas

Yveta Germano is an exciting writer. Exciting? Why do I say that? I think I am justified in saying that she is exciting simply because she attacks social media, promotion and writing with such amazing energy. I posed this set of “cutting edge” questions to her and she, without doubt, gave me the strongest set of responses I have ever read. Many authors have been stumped by these questions– enjoy!
What makes you a great writer?
“I make sure I know the character, literally get inside his head, and become a part of the story.”
yveta germano 3
Why did you want to write a book?
I never asked myself that question. I’ve been writing stories ever since I can remember. My mom told me that, as a child, I never wanted to sleep. So when other kids went for their afternoon nap at daycare, I’d sit in the middle of the room and tell them stories I made up while they fell asleep. Even the teachers listened to me. That’s why I never asked “why,” I just had to figure out the “when.”

What makes you a great writer?
I make sure I know the character, literally get inside his head, and become a part of the story. I love using dialogue because it moves the story and makes it real. I do not like books where you’re told everything you’re supposed to feel and imagine. I try very hard to let my readers become as much of a part of my book as I am.

What is inspirational to you?
Life writes the best stories. I suppose it’s the little things in life that have the power to inspire me almost every day. It’s easy to miss them if you are too fixed on the future or on what has been. My younger daughter, Victoria, taught me a valuable lesson. She often says, “Today was the best day of my life.” She means it every time, day after day. When I finally understood the importance of her view of life, I began to see something wonderful and inspirational, no matter how big or small, every single day. Sometimes it’s just the fact that we are alive that inspires me to create something that’ll last long after I’m gone (I hope).

How did you approach writing?
Like almost everyone else – I picked up a pencil and a notebook and started to write (many years ago). I’ve been a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators for a number of years now. It’s a great resource and their conferences are usually packed with wonderful speakers and editors. I write much more like a professional these days; trying to have some sort of a synopsis and staying clear of the usual pitfalls that editors and readers hate. It’s been a long learning curve, but it’s worth it.

What do you think a great book needs?
Characters readers care about, a story that hasn’t been told a dozen times before, a voice that’ll make us ponder or send shivers down our spines.

How do you feel about the independent writing world?
I love it and I hate it at the same time. I love it because I love the fact that I could self-publish Bring Me Back and keep control over the content. Many wonderful, great books have been published independently because nowadays publishers are so driven to earn money, they often accept subpar books for publication only because they are written by a celebrity or someone well-known to the public while passing on stories that should definitely be published.
I hate it because, unfortunately, there are many self-published books on Amazon that are so poorly written, they should have never been published. They clutter the site and confuse the readers. In their quest to sell books, self-published authors reduced the prices of their books to the levels that are so low these days, it’s nearly impossible to make a living writing self-published books. If you don’t do it for the love of writing, you may end up being disappointed. Today’s readers do not appreciate the amount of time that goes into writing a good book. They are spoiled by the free or almost free books out there, and they download them just because they are free but never read them anyway. It’s kind of sad.


For More Click HERE Author Yveta Germano On The Cutting Edge | Novel Ideas: Author Yveta Germano on the Cutting Edge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!